"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Dec 1993 08:22:20 EST
In article MSGID, FAST FISH <[log in to unmask]> says:

>Hi, I've been extracting various threads on my list into
>files and placing them on the fileserver. I wondered about
>two things: 1) would it be a good practice to reduce the
>size of the notebooks correspondingly as I take the
>various related messages out of them and place them in
>files? Is that commonly done on other fileservers?

No and No.

>2) is there any way that fileserver files can be
>included in Listserv searches, i.e. included in the
>database as searchable items? I guess I'm thinking
>of the researcher who searches my list without
>bothering to get the filelist first, and comes
>up empty-handed.

Well it might be possible for the truly adventurous, but
since you've had to ask, no.  Keep them in the NOTEBOOKs
and then you don't have to invent a wheel.  For more search
tips and techniques, get the notebook archives of LDBASE-L
on LISTSERV@ukanvm or @ukanvm.cc.ukans.edu.

LDBASE (Search) provides a "roll-your-own" thread mechanish.

See a possible script below for finding current threads (of
discussion) on the LSTSRV-L list.

BTW, a non-LISTSERV system called ASTRA might be able to do what
you are asking, but I am not positive.  (I believe that ASTRA has
been mentioned in the LDBASE-L notebook archives.)

/Pete ([log in to unmask])  --  co-owner  LDBASE-L, TQM-L, CPARK-L, et -L
--
Peter M. Weiss         "The 'NET' never naps"             +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA

//ListSrch JOB Echo=no
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD *
S * in LSTOWN-L SINCE oct WHERE SUBJECT DOES NOT CONTAIN RE:
index date.8 sender.25 subject.45
/*
//  EOJ