"George R. Bancks" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 08:35:08 CST
I can see the problems which would result from everybody running
netwide unsubscribe daily for X users on Y listservers.

This process wastes a lot of everybody cpu and bandwidth due to
the fact every listserv is notified for every user even if
the user is not subscribed on the particular listserv.

Now if I had a QUERY subscribed users for my node, I could perform
the command only once a week/month. Get my list of user
subscriptions. Extract the userids I wish to unsubscribe.
Then build a unique listserv batch job for each appropriate
site, list, and user.  This I think would save a lot of cpu and
bandwidth.

However IMHO

I guess some people would still think this would
waste their bandwidth and therefore it will never happen.

So we are back to solving problems after they happen
instead of using a little foresight and fixing problems before they happen.

Respectfully Yours,
George R. Bancks
Manager of Academic Systems  Bitnet: SPGRB@LATECH
Louisiana Tech University    Internet: [log in to unmask]