Greg Kroll <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Sep 1992 16:09:33 EDT
Found something today that no longer works under release 1.7d, I found an
alternate way to do the same thing but was wondering why the original
procedure no longer works.

I have a list owner here that distributes a weekly newsletter to a small
list of people.  For some reason they did not want mail headers at the
top  of the newsletter so instead they used the CMS PUNCH command to
send the file to the list-id, which LISTSERV would then distribute.
Here is a copy of the list header.

*
* Ack=          Msg          Notebook=  No,X5/201,Monthly,Private
* Confidential= No           Reply-To=  List,Respect
* Files=        Yes          Review=    Private
* Formcheck=    No           Stats=     Normal,Private
* Notify=       Yes          Send=      Editor
* Subscription= By_owner     Errors-To= Owners,Postmaster
* X-Tags=       Yes          Validate=  Store only
* Peers=        VTVM1,VTVM2
*
* Editor= FASTLINE@VTVM1 Peggy Morgan
* Editor= SANDERSW@VTVM1 Bill Sanders
* Owner= FASTLINE@VTVM1 Peggy Morgan
* Owner= SANDERSW@VTVM1 Bill Sanders
*

From userid FASTLINE the list editor would then issue the following commands:

cp spool punch to <list-name>

Our postmaster had a look in the console log while we attempted to punch
a copy of the file and it said something to the effect of "no recipients
left", but no one on the list received a copy.

When I had the editor mail the file instead, it works (as should be expected).
My question is, why does the PUNCHed file fail even though the list is
set to FILES= YES?

--Greg Kroll