Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:05:02 -0400
On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:07:04 +0200, L.W. van Braam van Vloten <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello list,
>
>   I am planning to move about 50 Listserv lists to a new server. The
>procedure is described in the document "wp-MovingLStoNewServer.pdf" from
>the LSoft site.

There is an alternate document describing another process intended for cross-platform
or other kinds of migrations where the above document does not work.

LISTSERV Migration to new server (Cross Platform and whenever above is N/A)
ftp://dropbox.lsoft.us/download/docs/FastMigration.zip

This has an emphasis on Windows in the supplied scripts, but you can easily adapt them to Unix.

>   So my question is:
>   Which is the minimal set of files that needs to be copied in order to
>move a list from one server to another - i.e. including the archives,
>subscriber, list- and subscriber settings, etc.
>
>   To complete the picture, my general migration strategy will be:
>   - Implement and test the new server as far as possible
>   - Disable the old server
>   - Move all lists to the new server, for example using a script
>   - (if necessary) adjust any settings on the new server to reflect the new
>domain name

If you have changed the install path, then likely the NOTEBOOK= path in every list header
will also need to be changed.  DO NOT attempt to edit the *.list files directly.  You WILL DESTROY
any *.list file you attempt to edit directly.

LISTSERV Bulk Editing List Header changes
ftp://dropbox.lsoft.us/download/docs/LIST-TEXT.zip

Again, Windows centric but you can adapt to Unix.

>   - Change DNS so my domain points to the new server

Pete's suggestion of edit of TTL values is good.  See this for more info:

Here is the link to articles on adjusting DNS TTL when changing IP
address for a domain name:

http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/908/Understanding+TTL+%28time-to-live%29
http://dyn.com/dyn-tech-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-ttls/
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/apa/ttl.html

See this article for more detailed information:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/08/06/propagate-and-refresh-dns-cache-faster/

The easiest way to check for TTL is to use
http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx