Darren Evans-Young <DARREN@UA1VM>
Wed, 2 Nov 88 12:41:17 CST
>This error is likely to be due to a command that broke and left the punch
>in CONT status, or to a bug in CP which does the same thing. The punch is
>spooled  NOCONT PURGE  after a  reader file  has been  processed, so  the
>former is rather unlikely (unless this  is an older version of LISTSERV).
>Since you did not (could not) provide info on the command executed before
>this mail  was distributed, nor  about the CP  level of that  LISTSERV, I
>just added a  NOCONT option to the  SPOOL D TO command  in LSVXMAIL. This
>will cost very little CPU time and will make sure that the problem is due
>to a CP bug, if it persists. By the way I hope to get release 1.5o out by
>the end of  next week. It is  supposed to have full XA  support, and I'll
>make some more changes to define DIST1 --> old distribute code and DIST2
>= DISTRIBUTE --> new DIST2 code. This is not so easy as the DIST1 command
>is not known to vanilla 1.5n - I'll have to make some tests on the server
>version  from  PEERS   NAMES  to  use  either  DIST1   or  DISTRIBUTE  on
>inter-server DIST1 jobs, and suchlike.
>
>  Eric

I received a weird distribution like that the same time my userid's
reader got screwed up.  By that I mean every file I received was unreadable.
No command (MAIL, PEEK, RECEIVE) could process my reader files.  I always
got 'Unable to access spool file.'  The files were not marked inuse (SFBINUSE).
I could transfer them to another userid and read them fine, but on my
userid I couldn't get to them. Even logging off wouldn't fix the problem.
New files that were coming in from RSCS were unreachable.
For some strange reason, PROFS could get its files (somehow I'm not suprised).
A re-ipl of the system fixed the problem.  I haven't been able to reproduce
this situation, but my vote is for a CP bug.  We're running VM/SP HPO 5.0.

Darren