Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 22 Sep 1991 15:21:09 +0200
On Sun, 22  Sep 1991 08:07:05 EST  Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Raise your expectations and challenge IBM to meet them. IBM can't be all
>things to all people, but it can do more than you expect.

IBM won't  fix anything major in  SP5, because SP5 is  being removed from
marketing very soon, so  as to force customers to spend  big money on ESA
systems. SP5 is what I am licensed for at the moment. SP5 is likely to be
what I am licensed for in 2 years. In 5 years I doubt there will still be
a  VM system  in the  basement.  So, there's  no  point in  me trying  to
challenge anything at the moment.

The reason is that (before I came to work here) we bought a rack 370 box.
Major mistake. To start  with, the 4341 I was using in  1985 was not only
faster  but above  all  more  reliable. Marketing  said  this 9370  could
operate in a regular office  environment, provided there was a reasonable
air conditioning  system. Marketing  also said the  disk units  were very
fast, 3Mb/sec  transfer rate,  3380-level (anyone  who uses  9335's knows
this is  a good candidate  for the Guinness Joke  of the Year  award, but
when you don't have  one it's none too obvious). Well  the facts are that
the box is in a professionally  cooled computer room, that the disk units
decide, from time to  time, to stop with a thermal  check for no apparent
reason, that the  CPU was down for  about 24h and didn't  come back until
all but one  of the elements in  the rack had been replaced,  and that we
had to do the same for a disk unit. Even after being repaired, we have to
run it  with cover  open or  it gives a  thermal check  (room temperature
around 20C/68F). The tape unit often decides to let go of the reel in the
middle of a backup.  Several times a day, all terminals  get stuck at the
same time for 15-30 seconds (clock  icon). Once every other month, I have
to power  cycle the whole system  because the ethernet controller  is all
dead. The more I think about it,  the more it becomes clear that the only
part of the rack which works to satisfaction is the power unit.

For the  cost of  an apartment in  the city (and  they are  not precisely
cheap), we can upgrade to a newer rack system, something that has ESA and
S/390  and all  the newest  whiz-bang.  Still slow,  but it  can run  ESA
programs. Or rather,  it could, if it could run  an ESA operating system.
You see, there is this little detail: rack systems come with FBA disks to
save a couple  pennies and VM/ESA doesn't support these,  so, yes, if you
boot from a  tape and never want to  do any disk I/O I guess  you can run
ESA software. Of  course, this box *can* run "VM/ESA"  - the 370 feature,
the one that has  nothing to do with ESA apart from the  name. We get 80%
discount on that thing and the box  is one of the smallest IBM makes, and
it's still the price of a good car.

Marketing says I shouldn't despair, FBA  support will be back into VM/ESA
some day. Well I  have written a bunch of code that  had to dual-path for
FBA, and I know  what that means. FBA support is not  a one-day job, it's
going  to cost  IBM  millions to  put  it back  into  VM/ESA. Before  the
re-introduction of FBA devices in rack systems, only "ancient" disk units
(3310 and  3370) used  FBA. IBM had  a very strong  case for  saving that
money and saying FBA  was a dead architecture, in spite  of the fact that
it makes  the logic cheaper to  build. That is what  the VM/XA developers
did, and I thought that meant the end of FBA and life would be simpler in
the future. But... They had to save  on rack systems which have never and
probably never will  be competitive, even with  serious non-unix hardware
from DEC and  others, so I guess  we're going to drag that  trash into VM
for another decade. And since most VM/ESA shops do not and probably never
will use  FBA devices, most  "system utilities" written by  IBM customers
won't work on FBA systems, so the rack owners will be at a disadvantage -
all that  because IBM  didn't want to  put real CKD  logic on  their rack
minidisks, to "save" money.

I realize none  of that applies to  mainframe computers. I used  to be in
charge of  a 3090, and they  are excellent machines in  all respects. The
only complaint I ever  had about them is the time it  takes to bring them
up after a  scheduled power outage, due  to the use of  4331's as support
processors. A 3380 isn't going to stop on a thermal check just because it
feels like having a bit of fun, not will an ancient 3420 ever release the
reel in the middle of a backup.  An unaligned load on a 3090 doesn't take
45 times  longer than an  aligned one. Only a  toy rack machine  can have
such attributes. Unfortunately, IBM doesn't tell you about this when they
sell you  a 9370.  Do you  know of any  other computer  manufacturer that
calmly tells you the cost of the  license for the operating system of a 2
mips  machine with  16M  of  memory is  $85k  +  taxes (without  academic
discount)? That doesn't even include any  of the products you want to run
(multiply by  4 for TCP/IP,  RSCS, C and  PASCAL compilers plus  a couple
other things you need on a small network machine like SEARN).

This is one of the reasons we're going  to have to put up with a bunch of
people running "ancient" versions of the operating system for many years.
Another reason is  the 4381 dead-end, but that's all  going off the topic
of this list. The  bottom line is that IBM still  doesn't have any decent
offering for the  smaller shops. The difference is that  in 1985 it meant
you had  to somehow  find a  whole lot of  money to  buy yourself  a good
system, whereas now  you have to find  a lot of money to  buy yourself an
unsatisfactory system, which  will require another lot of  money a couple
years later  to keep running  current application software. I'm  afraid I
don't see this as an improvement.

  Eric