David R Nessl <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:50:05 -0400
Chris Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:31:39 -0400 Pete Weiss said:
> >At 16:48 8/27/97 CDT, you wrote:
> >|If I know that a person (or address) is subscribed to a list that is
> >|a Sub-List of a master list, how do I find out which specific list
> >|that person is on?
> >
> >There's nothing magical about finding a person on a sub-list vs. a list.
> >You do it the old fashioned way: either REV or SCAN.
>
> That's the point - I didn't want to have to issue 12 different SCANs.
> Can I scan the master list and have Listserv return the entry WITH
> the name of the sub-list (I doubt it)?

In a message to this list on 27 Jun 1997, I noted the same need at the
University of Florida (which also makes extensive use of sub-lists, mostly
to mimic the origanizational chart).
Eric's answer was that having the SCAN work recursively down into sub-lists
was counter-intuitive (we disagreed) and that the solution was for UF to
write a local command for Unix-based LISTSERV which would mimic our local
VM-based /WHOIS command (written by me to handle sub-lists).  Now that
sub-lists are an officially supported part of LISTSERV, I'd like to see you
and others convince Eric that the SCAN command should support sub-lists
(with the output appropriately labelled with the name of the list that each
match is found in).

--
David R Nessl
http://www.afn.org/~drn