"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Jun 1993 14:56:52 EDT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "John F. Chandler"
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>The following list is from BITNET GATES, the official summary of
>gateways maintained on LISTSERV@BITNIC and the various NETSERV's.
>Most of them are probably included in the file called INTERNET LISTING,
>also available from LISTSERV@BITNIC, which gives the correspondence
>between BITNET and Internet names.  Note that a great many other sites
>are capable of acting as gateways and continually do so for locally
>generated e-mail.  (...)

At the risk of making a fool out of myself, I would not depend upon
INTERNET LISTING as a source of general purpose B/I gateways since
there is 0 commitment that such a gateway is well-maintained(*), will
get you to other sites, or even if the FQDN exists or is duplicative
of some other Bitnet node.  (Of course I am talking in the "global"
sense and not what the locals do.)

/Pete, an IBM TCP/IP For MVS SMTP maintainer

(*) well-maintained in the sense that certain procedure must be
    followed in order to add new Bitnet nodes that can be routed
    to FROM the Internet.