Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Wed, 20 May 1987 18:22 SET
Sorry to sound negative, but....

- Please define 'night'. Then I will define  what *I* would call night, and we
  will compare the  GMTs. If they match, we will  have a consistent definition
  of 'night'.

I think  that the queueing of  large files until  night should be done  at the
RSCS level (by a  line monitor server machine), as is  presently being done at
DEARN. This way, each institution defines what it calls night. I'd hate to see
large files  sent on  BITNIC -> EARNET  at 10am just  because it's  night over
there, and vice-versa. I don't agree  to queue anything until some given hour,
even if it's a very large file.

  Now  let's  be positive  about  file  sizes.  DISTRIBUTE already  assigns  a
priority to each file it processes  according to its size, unless specifically
overriden by the PRIOR= keyword. There's no  reason this can't be done for the
GET command. What I  don't want is to send MAIL or small  files at prior 55 --
there  are enough  MAILERs sending  4,000  recs files  at prior  1 and  enough
nuclear  research scientist  sending 67,829  recs files  at standard  SENDFILE
prior.

  Anyway I think  the best would be to reconfigure  all international lines to
ignore priority  and use  the file size  only. See my  SIZEQ RSCSMOD1  file on
NETSERV if you don't have any local equivalent.

  Eric