Lisa Baas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:55:07 -0800
On 01/26/2003 03:19:53 PM LISTSERV give-and-take forum wrote:

>> I don't know why LISTSERV didn't make the connection between list name
and
>> alias but I suppose it has something to do with the way LMail re-writes
>> the message.
>
>The list-ID feature was originally introduced when LISTSERV only ran on
VM, and
>its purpose was to provide support for list names longer than 8
characters.
>Every list still had to have a name that was a valid CMS filename, but in

>addition you could define a longer name, or one containing reserved
characters.

I guess I was thinking LISTSERV had a method of mapping the list
name/alias to the filename so that either would be acceptable in incoming
mail. IOW, if he got mail for ABC and didn't have a file called ABC LIST,
he might look for a list-id of ABC. But I imagine that would be pretty
resource intensive for sites with a lot of lists.

lisa