Jim Stosick <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 10:16:29 PST
Stanford's MVS mainframe acts as a gateway between Bitnet and systems in
the local STANFORD.EDU Internet domain.  Much of the mail traffic handled
by this gateway originates from Bitnet systems which appear to have their
own direct Internet connection, but which are configured use Bitnet
rather than the Internet when transmitting mail to STANFORD.EDU hosts.

Is there some way to get this mail sent directly over the Internet rather
than through our Bitnet gateway?  This would reduce the load on our
mainframe and on the Bitnet hub at UC Berkeley that we connect to.  More
generally, a shift toward greater use of direct Internet mail transmission
would reduce the load on all of the Bitnet hub systems.

A lot of our gateway mail traffic is generated by LISTSERV.  Is there
some way to configure LISTSERV to make more use of the Internet for the
mail it transmits?