Wolfram Fassbender <EARNIE@DB0FUB11>
Tue, 3 Jan 89 00:19:03 MEZ

>> Please note that the availability of LISTSEND V1.1 makes obsolete the
>previous
>> version  of LISTSEND,  which  I will  no longer  support,  fix or
>distribute.
>> Following the new policy for volunteer  software, LISTSEND is NOT available
>> EARN users,  but only  to BITNET  and NetNorth.  I've moved  the EARN  AFDs
>> LISTSEND  EXEC to  a separate  file, which  I may  restore later  if the
>EARN
>> situation betters.
>
>1. Jose Maria is not an EARN volunteer! It is his Job to
>   contribute to the operation and development of EARN and DFN.
>   He is paid for this by GMD.

     Being paid for a job doesn't say anything about volunteering.
     If I'm working more than I'm paid for then I am a volunteer.
     In these terms it seems to be senseless to state something like
     above.
     In fact, all interesting services available in EARN, are developped
     by volunteers because working on those things is a matter of fun,
     engagement, personel interest, and the feeling that the results are
     useful.

>2. Although GMD isn't allways in favour of EARN decissions
>   GMD does not not support any strategy of imposing pressure
>   on the EARN administration by selectively distributing
>   technical solutions everywhere but within EARN. This is not
>   a way to improove EARN, it is destructive.

     Peanuts. I fear that other policies and directions are
     destructing EARN. On the other hand there has to be questioned:
     What is really improving EARN in its current state ??
     Some days ago I learned something about migration into DFN.
     Improving EARN by reducing services...

>3. Since Jose Maria is employed by GMD and since the developments
>   he announced where on base of GMD-owned ressources he is not
>   authorized to give any statements on the availability. This
>   is especially true for strange and unjustified statements that
>   do not agree to GMD policy.

     Sounds like Jose Maria is under pressure. What for ?
     Disclaiming rights on his software developped before he joined GMD ?
     Or is your statement only the top of the iceberg ??.

>So the best thing to do for now is to ignore Jose Maria's quoted
>paragraph. I guess better news are to follow when Jose Maria is
>back from hollidays.
>
>Klaus Birkenbihl

I feel that you should have waited until Jose Maria is back from
the hollidays. It's a bit difficult to agree with this kind of
behaviour.
I'll be damned if I would ignore his quoted paragraph. If that's
Jose Maria's decision it should be respected in any way beyond
any discussion of copyrights. Those people we are living from in
the EARN area.

Wolfram Fassbender