Daniel Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 May 1991 21:23:41 MST
I inherited a list operation from an Internet site that ran the list
using unknown software on a NeXT box.   The list was modified and
edited to run as Circplus@idbsu, including deleting many duplicates.

There are some addresses on the list that the DEL command says are not
there and won't delete.  They are there.  Upper/lower case, etc., make
no difference.  Looking at the line as hex in xedit shows no strange
characters or garbage characters.

I have been able to delete the lines with xedit, of course, but it is the
difficult way to do it.

I have recently discovered that if I Query the address on the list that
Listserv responds with the current options settings, although I can not
DEL the same entry.  So, it appears that some parts of Listserv recognize
the entry and some parts don't.

My postmaster is also puzzled and has just said "delete them with xedit,"
which I have been doing.  But why is Listserv apparently inconsistent?
Am I missing something really basic in the docs?  I did rtfm, but may
have missed something.

thanks
dan

| Dan Lester             | 1910 University Dr. | Bitnet: ALILESTE@IDBSU   |
| Library                | Boise, Idaho  83725 | Internet:                |
| Boise State University | (208) 385-1234      | [log in to unmask] |