Samer Farha <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 01:00:00 GMT
I am looking for a host for an existing list. The list is ShopTalk and is
used for the distribution of Fitz's ShopTalk, a daily roundup of news,
information and gossip on the television (mainly news) business.

The list is a distibution only list. Only the list owner can post to the
list. There is usually one post each weekday, with a 20-30K text only
newsletter. The only other traffic includes administration posts. The list
currently stands at 850 subscribers.

The ideal host would:

1. Allow automatic subscribe/unsubscribe.
2. Send welcome message and latest ShopTalk to new subs.
3. Send goodbye message to unsubs.
4. Send info message to info requesters.
5. Allow the list owner to designate someone else to send mailings (for
when I go on vacation).
6. Allow listowner to do any list management that is needed.
7. Forward any mail sent to the list to the listowner.

An archive is not required as ShopTalk is available via ftp from
ftp.clark.net in the /pub/shoptalk directory.

I have run this list for many months now on my home computer and cannot
cope with the manual adding and deleting of names. I am willing to add a
line or two about the hosting institution to the end of each ShopTalk.

Considering the topic of the newsletter, it would be nice if a university
with a Broadcast Journalism division would host it. All others are just as
welcome, though, as my primary motive is to get it a new home soon and not
shut it down.

Please reply directly to me at [log in to unmask] and many thanks.

Here is a snippet from John Higgens' "Net-Letter Guide':

      Late Show News (TV); Fitz's ShopTalk (TV); Edupage (Infotech)
         This Just In (Weird News); Computer Underground Digest
AIDS Daily Summary; RFE/RL Daily Report (E. Europe); Patent News Service

  FITZ'S SHOPTALK: Daily dispatches on the TV business, both networks and
local stations by media headhunter Don FitzPatrick. Primarily summaries
of wire-service and major newspapers, but also includes some full-text
reprints. Fairly short.