"Richard A. Schafer" <SCHAFER@RICE>
Tue, 28 Jul 87 09:21:43 CDT
>  Sorry, but NEWSGROUP  is a usenet keyword  which would have NO  meaning in a
>LISTSERV environment unless some conditions  were met. One of these conditions
>would be that all peers of the same  list had the same name. Another one would
>be that the list nodeid were NOT required to mail to the list:
>
>Newsgroup: LSTSRV-L
>
>With this  indication, and even assuming  that all peers were  called LSTSRV-L
>(which is the case  for this list but not for all of  them), you would need an
>extra table to know where to reply to.
Is this necessarily true?  I don't have a handy copy of RFC850, but does it
so limit the syntax of Newsgroup keywords that we couldn't use a full RFC822
address in this field?  Even if RFC850 only assumed things like comp.src.misc
or something, I would believe an address would be a reasonable extension to
the syntax.  Once you have a full address, the rest is easy, and Eric's
problems are solvable.

>  All of this is  a little pointless anyway. You might be  able to change RICE
>mail if needed, but certainly not  the existing stupid mailers, especially not
>the VAX mailers which send errors to the FROM field address.
Obviously, I can only speak for my own package, but surely the likelihood that
some mailers will continue to work badly should not keep those who wish to
move forward from doing so.

Richard