Jack Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:31:42 -0400
> The web interface is working fine with relative URLs in a non-SSL
> environment. It seems to me that it should also work with SSL, however,
> Eric's message explicitly stated that it was necessary to change the
> LISTSERV configuration in order to use SSL. Please clarify.

In detail:

First, you'll need to change the WWW_ARCHIVE_CGI variable in your
go.user (unix) or SITE.CFG (Windows).  To use https or an
alternate port number, you'll need to include the entire url for
wa.  For example:

WWW_ARCHIVE_CGI="https://www.somehost.com:8080/cgi-bin/wa"
(unix)

or

WWW_ARCHIVE_CGI= https://www.somehost.com:8080/scripts/wa.exe
(Windows)

Obviously, you would substitute "http" for "https" above if you were
running a standard http server on the alternate port.  Note also that
it shouldn't be necessary to include a port number for https if you
are using the default https port (443), and you could simply use:

WWW_ARCHIVE_CGI="https://www.somehost.com/cgi-bin/wa"

(Unix Only)

Under unix, you'll also need to edit your /etc/lsv-wa.config file
to include an absolute (rather than relative) URL.  Your edited
lsv-wa.config might look something like this:

PATH /home/httpd/html/archives
URL https://www.somehost.com:8080/archives

(Or whatever the path to your archives might be).

After editing the configuration file(s), you will need to restart
Listserv in order to apply the changes.

Since you are using Apache....

Listserv makes use of a particular server environmental variable
called SERVER_PORT_SECURE in order to determine whether the web
server is using https for communication.  Unfortunately, the
SERVER_PORT_SECURE variable is specific to IIS, and is not used
natively in Apache.  In order to set the variable to use https,
you'll need to add the following to your apache secure server
configuration file (usually httpsd.conf, but may be different on
your system.  If you're running the secure server within a virtual
host context, you would add the following to the context of that
virtual host):

SetEnv SERVER_PORT_SECURE 1
PassEnv SERVER_PORT_SECURE

This should set the necessary server variable for the https server,
and allow the web archive interface to function properly under
https.