Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:03:04 +1100
There's a list dedicated to LISTSERV LITE (ingeniously titled
'LISTSERV-LITE' http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/listserv-lite.html)
to which questions about that product should be directed.  However,
since this is common thread on this list as well I'll answer it anyway.

> I am installing List Serv Lite on a Windows 2000 server.  In
> IIS I have
> a default SMTP Virtual Server running.  A different program is using
> that.  Can I install List Serv Lite on this server?

Official L-Soft documentation says "No".  After trying to find a
workaround and attempting to make it to work with LISTSERV, I discovered
*why* they say "No".  It doesn't function very well and creates more
trouble than you think you'll be saving.

For an MS platform, LISTSERV needs to be on a machine that has no other
SMTP service already running.  You then point it to an external MTA
(Mail Transport Agent) that should be configured to accept and relay
mail for the LISTSERV machne.  The *only* MTA that will peacefully
co-exist with LISTSERV is L-Soft's own product LSMTP.

> Can it be on a different server than the web server?

Again, the documentation says "No".  If you want to enable web access to
LISTSERV archives it has to be on the same local machine as your web
service so that LISTSERV has write access to the appropriate
directories.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.