Virginia Metze <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 16:58:54 -0600
> From:         Dairy Veterinarians Group <[log in to unmask]>
>
> I don't agree with Dave Gomberg's wish for fewer lists.  The
> problem with lists is that many have low signal/noise.  A
> solution is more (and more specialized) lists each with lower
> traffic.  Then each of us can subscribe to only those of real
> interest, even if they only bring a few messages a month.  This
> requires a little more discipline by list managers in forming and
> publicizing a focus for each list.  It also would benefit from
> better directory services on the Internet as a whole.
>
> The problem is not too many lists, but too many unfocused and
> poorly managed lists.

        I thought the problem we were discussing was too many
        FREE lists ...

        I certainly agree that mailing lists are basically good.
        Years and years ago I thought that newsgroups were better
        because they required less disk space over all.  BUT
        since that time, I have totally abandoned trying to keep
        up with newsgroups, which have far too high a noise/signal
        ratio, in favor of mailing lists, and the more specialized
        list the better...

        Also, as we have all gotten busier and busier and busier
        I imagine that I am not the only one who appreciates the
        fact that a mailing list puts information you are likely
        to want 'on your desk' whereas using newsgroups or
        mosaic means that you must make a conscious effort to
        go and seek the information.

        Mailing lists are wonderful.  What isn't wonderful
        is the resources needed to support them....