Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:52:16 -0500
On 23 Mar 99, at 11:23, Paul Karagianis wrote:

> Whoa... there may be another explanation for this.... this says the
> _subscriber_ enabled a filter that looks for their name in the from OR
> the name of a list they subscribed to in the FROM.  Couldn't this fail
> if they where posted from a super-list, which I thinks might have been
> the case here?

Whether or not the subscriber is responsible for enabling the filter, I
don't think that excuses the ISP from making such irresponsible
comments as this:

>     Since you may have intentionally abused or otherwise misused our
>     mailing system, we are adding _your_ email address to a mailing
>     list of suspected spammers. We reserve the right to sell it to
>     anyone for legal commercial advertising purposes. We do not
>     otherwise send unsolicited email.

That's probably an empty threat, but it's enough for me to put a filter on
my list for *@indus.net. I do not want to entrust the security of my
subscribers (whose names and addresses will be in the From: line on
postings to the list) to an individual subscriber who may forget to add
the list-name as an "allowed" address.

Francoise