Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jul 1993 10:14:57 CDT
   It looks like the item came off of netnews (note the original sender
info).  I guess to tighten that up you'd have to have the gateway removed
by AUVM.

   Since the item is coming from netnews I'm not sure if serving the person
out would help.  I suspect it is even easier to fake a netnews origin than
an smtp origin (and that is pretty simple).

   I would at least complain to the postmaster of that site and the
individual (if it is a real site).  I'll cc: the postmaster for
connected.com as this is a heck of a use of a commercial site!

   I did see something similar but different on one other list I'm on.
But it asked if they were toll numbers and how they made money if not like
our 900 numbers...

   I'll include the news item off of our system below.  Again, I suspect
headers can be hacked but the Path: is build by each system along the way
so maybe the postmaster at gaia at Oregon State can confirm it came in from
connected.com (maybe soon to be disconnected.com! ;-).

       marty