Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 20:04:22 +0100
On Wed, 22 Feb 1995 16:43:51 GMT David Chapin <[log in to unmask]> said:

>With the closing of GATECH and the  flood on the cybernet of old mailing
>lists  in  need of  a  new  home, I  wonder  if  Eric Thomas  and  other
>commercial mailing  list service companies would  consider the following
>idea:
>
>   Offer a  6 months  free trial period  for new  non-commercial mailing
>   lists.

There is just  one problem: free trials are always  abused. For instance,
we usually offer free trial periods  for customers who want to purchase a
perpetual license. Well, it  took about 3 months for us  to get the first
of a long series of messages of the type:

   Dear L-Soft,

   Our management has decided to buy a copy of LISTSERV. The PO# is XXXX.
   However we would like to start with the free 90-day trial mentioned in
   the list  of license types in  the contracts. We understand  that this
   includes free maintenance. You can invoice  us now if you want because
   we have already decided to buy the software.

Trial licenses were introduced mostly for corporate customers who want to
know  if LISTSERV  can  be  interfaced to  their  homebrew internal  mail
system. Well, we  can't really answer that question, one  just has to try
it  out.  The cost  to  us  of  helping these  customers  adapt/configure
LISTSERV for such environments is  included in the corporate prices. It's
not included in the academic  prices. People who've been running LISTSERV
for 5  years and  have 100  lists don't need  a free  trial, they  need a
discounted price.  But naturally when  they see  the trial option  on the
contract, they want to tick the checkbox *and* keep the discount.

We solved that problem by applying the maintenance retroactively from the
date of initial delivery if the customer does purchase the software after
the trial. That is, during the trial period you can decide that you don't
want the  software after all,  and you don't owe  us anything. If  you do
keep it,  you pay for the  support you received during  the trial period.
Suddenly people weren't interested in trial copies any more :-)

For  the mailing  list service,  the issue  is the  same. If  a corporate
customer  wants a  free  trial  of the  "EASE  Premium"  service, we  can
probably  arrange  it.  Corporate  sites  are new  to  the  Internet  and
genuinely need a  trial to better understand what all  these glossies are
about. People  who've been running a  list on LISTSERV for  3 years don't
need a free trial,  they already know what the software  can do. They may
need a  free ride to get  organized in terms of  collecting contributions
from members or finding a sponsor  or whatever, but that's not a "trial".
At least, it's not a trial of the software :-)

Anyway, the  problem with free  rides is that  they aren't free.  At some
point someone is  going to have to  pay for them. It wouldn't  be fair to
make people who paid from day one contribute to your free ride, so in all
likelihood you're the one who's going to  be paying for it... It would be
some sort of  arrangement where you don't pay during  the first 3 months,
and afterwards  you pay a higher  price to compensate for  the free ride.
And  naturally there  would  be  rules preventing  abuse  - we  certainly
wouldn't want  each list member to  stand up in  turn and ask for  a free
trial for the same list :-)

  Eric