Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:47:05 -0500
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:36:51 PST, "Patrick B. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>  said:

> But, I see this email on my mailq. "It says, Deferred: Connection timed out".
 Any thoughts? TIA.

Your Sendmail accepted it from your Listserv, and then the destination didn't answer,
so it stayed in the Sendmail queue.

First 3 things to try:

1) 'telnet dmv.state.nv.us 25' - can you reach their SMTP port that way?

2) 'traceroute dmv.state.nv.us' - Where do things go astray? (Note that some
firewalls and the like won't allow you to traceroute past them, but at least then
you'll know "it gets at least this far".

3) If you have a phone number for the DMV's IT staff, call them and ask if their
server is up/down/sideways.. ;)