Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:50:41 -0600
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:41:04 -0500, "Wilkinson, Craig J"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Is there anyone that can tell me the procedure for moving the notebook
>archives to a new location.  I want to move them to a different drive
>such as e:\listserv\lists.

How many lists?  If lots (100+) then decide if you really/really need to do
this because editing every list header is a lot of work.

0.  Notify List Owners you are making a change.

1.  Issue a HOLD command for every list with archives to be moved:

  To: LISTSERV@....

 msg: OK BEGIN
      HOLD listname1
      HOLD listname2
      HOLD listname3
      HOLD listname4
      HOLD listname5
      OK END

You will get back an OK/confirmation  request.  Confirm it

2.  go into each list message archive directory  x:\LISTSERV\LISTS\listname1,
     etc.

    delete all files listname.db...   (these are index files there will be 2
     or 3 such files)
    RETAIN all files listname.LOG..., listname.DIGEST, listname.SUBJECTS

3.  go into each list WWW index directory
     x:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives\listname1, etc.

    delete all files listname.*

    go up one dir to x:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives

    delete all files, but do NOT delete any directories

4.  copy entire x:\LISTSERV\LISTS\ tree including and all subdirs
     (listname1...listnamen) and all files to new disk partition
     y:\LISTSERV\LISTS\...

    -ensure SYSTEM user has 'full control' privs on this entire tree
    -ensure anonymous guest user (IUSR_xyz) has Read privs on this entire tree
      Note: IUSR_xyz is really IUSR_your-machine-name and is different for
      every Windows machine.  Use the correct username for your machine

5.  Now is the long, tedious, boring part of the process.
    One at a time, edit each list header and change one line
     Notebook= Yes, x:\LISTSERV\LISTS\listname1,....
     Notebook= Yes, y:\LISTSERV\LISTS\listname1,....

    If you also have a line  Digest= Yes, x:\LISTSERV\LISTS\listname1,....
     change to   Digest= Yes, Same, ...

    If you do not have a line Notebook= Yes, x:\LISTSERV\LISTS\listname1,....
     but only a line Digest= Yes, x:\LISTSERV\LISTS\listname1,....
     then change to Digest= Yes,y:\LISTSERV\LISTS\listname1,....

    There is no bulk way to do this.  The only way is one list at a time.
    I did warn you above to be really, really sure you really want to do this.

6.  When done with editing all list headers that have archives,
     stop and restart LISTSERV

    go into each list WWW index directory
     x:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives\listname1, etc.

    verify all new files  listnamex.ind... have been generated

    go up one dir to x:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives

    verify all new  listnamex.html files have been generated.

7.  Issue FREE comand for all lists previously put on HOLD

  To: LISTSERV@....

 msg: FREE listname1
      FREE listname2
      FREE listname3
      FREE listname4
      FREE listname5

8.  Test with 2-3 of the lists by sending a test message and verify it passes
the list and is recorded in the message archives.

9.  Notofy List Owners all is done and advise them on what to do if they
encounter a problem.