Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 19 Sep 89 17:59:13 GMT
A new line has been introduced in the 8909 tables, between ICNUCEVM and DEARN.
This is actually a virtual SNA route, and I will not comment on its usefulness
(or lack thereof). However, the introduction  of this new line caused LISTSERV
distribute jobs  to take  completely "absurd"  paths, because  I had  not been
warned about  this and had  therefore not made  the appropriate change  to the
link weights file; LISTSERV,  which has no way to know that  this is a virtual
SNA route, had assumed  the default weight of "1" and routed  a huge amount of
traffic through that line.

I am hereby  repeating, for the last  time, my request to have  changes to the
international EARN topology announced a  reasonable amount of time in advance.
I am fed up with having to find out this kind of things after the fact, when I
get complaints from understandably unhappy  people. This is not very difficult
to  implement: whenever  a NCC  makes a  change to  an international  line, he
should post  a note to  some list, which  should give us  at least 2  weeks of
advance notice.  If such a  simple thing cannot be  done, then I  cannot spend
time troubleshooting such problems either, and the next time it happens I will
simply ignore the problem and let EARN  files make 2 round trips across Europe
before they reach their final destination.

  Eric