Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Nov 1991 20:15:08 +0100
On Sun, 17 Nov 1991 12:11:31 EST Stan Horwitz <OASIS@TEMPLEVM> said:

>Is there  a way I can  check to see  exactly what the maximum  number of
>reader files that this sysem can store?

CP QUERY MAXSPOOL SYSTEM. If you are not authorized to issue this command
and neither is LISTSERV, you will have to ask the systems people.

>how many more it could store if a system modification were made.

Only your systems people can answer  this question. You can have zillions
of spool files if you have enough real memory for the control blocks. You
can have  a whole  bunch of  files and  find out  your system  has become
totally unusable because  most of the memory is used  for SFDBK's. It all
depends on how  much real memory you have, the  efficiency of your paging
system and what kind of workload  you have. However, the structural limit
of 9900 spool files is gone.

>This  addresses the  problem of  non-technical people  having difficulty
>with the  new procedure. We also  support only one mail  program on this
>machine so that isn't a problem.

Then you have very nice users. Let's  face it, before the change the user
just typed MAIL  and he got all his  mail. Now he has to  use RDRLIST and
receive a number of separate notebooks under different names; his mail is
arbitrarily split  on day boundaries,  such that examining a  followup to
mail posted  on a  particular day requires  exiting and  re-entering MAIL
with  another argument.  Assuming I  used MAIL,  I certainly  wouldn't be
happy if this  were done to me;  I'd write an EXEC right  away to receive
all the notebooks from the reader, in the right order, and append them to
UNREAD NOTEBOOK.  Since I  read mail  with RDRLIST,  I would  actually be
infuriated if  my nice reader  files were placed  into a disk  file, thus
forcing me to  use a different user interface, but  that's another matter
:-)

  Eric