"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:32:19 -0800
I'm working my way down the list of email commands. In the manual
I've found plenty of references to a user's ability to create, change
or remove his/her password. However, I'm not seeing how, if at all,
the list maintainer can issue an email command to change a user's
password. Is it possible? If so, what is the syntax?

I plan to create a form that simultaneously updates the user's
password in the portal and also send an email command to LISTSERV to
add or modify the user's password in LISTSERV, thereby making them
equivalent. It's a little clunky, I know, but I'm doing this because,
the last time I checked (admittedly four or five years ago), LISTSERV
could not store passwords in an external database table even though
it could store other user data in an external database such as MS
SQL. Therefore, the best I can do is create a means of simultaneously
updating passwords in the SQL database (for our portal) and in
LISTSERV's own flat-table database. If it is now possible, as of
vers. 15.0, to store passwords in an external database, I'd be
appreciative of knowing that and also of a reference to the proper
manual. I'd much rather have LISTSERV use the password from my
portal's database if at all possible.

Thanks,
Steve

Stephen C. Nill