"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Wed, 1 Mar 89 19:17:15 GMT
I have been reminded  by a number of people that I forgot  to explain what the
plan #3  I mentioned in  my note about  survey #2 is  :-) I apologize  for the
confusion. I number of people told me  that everything would be so much better
if I  completely stopped  to do  anything about  LISTSERV and  completely gave
maintenance, support and  development over to EARN; BITNET  and NetNorth might
or might  not wish to  negotiate the  availability of EARN-written  changes to
LISTSERV with the EARN BoD. It should be clear that in any case, I wouldn't be
responsible for  the outcome  of these negotiations,  regardless of  what this
outcome may be and the impact it might have on the network.

I have got so pissed off with  this whole business that this would actually be
an acceptable solution to me, and  I have therefore decided, out of democracy,
to include it into the list of proposed  plans you are going to "vote" on with
survey  #3. I  have been  allowed to  tell you  that Alain  Auroux finds  this
proposal to be a big improvement over  the previous two, although this is only
his personal  opinion. However I  wouldn't be  surprised (that is  MY personal
opinion here) if the EARN-Exec officially endorsed this plan.

Out of the same democracy that caused me to include it in the list of proposed
plans, I  will implement  it only if  it is  the one that  comes first  in the
results of survey #3. You will have a chance to vote against or for it.

  Eric