Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:35:26 -0500
On Nov 24, 2005, at 3:17 AM, Lorenz, Sabine wrote:

> We have a listserv server containing about 500 lists. Up to now the
> server forwarded the outgoing mails to the central mailhost of our
> research centre. Now there are some problems with this mailserver
> and we
> are thinking about sending the outgoing mails directly using the local
> sendmail of the server.
> I am interested to know what is the usual method on other listserv
> servers. Do you send the emails directly with sendmail or do you
> forward
> them to a mailserver? Of what do we have to take account when we send
> the outgoing emails directly and which problems could there be?
>
> Thank you very much for any help!

We run Sendmail directly on our LISTSERV. It serves us well. If I had
the choice though, I would run LSMTP or Qmail rather than Sendmail.
Unfortunately, the choice of mail distribution agent was made for me
by my management. If you have a choice, you should definitely look at
options other than Sendmail, but running a mail distribution agent on
your LISTSERV should be no problem, provided your server has the
horsepower to handle the increased system load. You should definitely
consider LMAIL if your budget allows for it.