Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:45:29 -0500
My site activity level is rather low, so I can't say if we're suffering
any due to x-spam traffic or not.  I also don't know if the distribution
of incoming jobs is uniform or not, among sites (in other words, is it
"expected" that I would see every one that you see?).  For what it's
worth, here is a list of the daily total of x-spam jobs logged here.  In
198 observations, 43 days averaged less than one per minute; 77 days
averaged more than 2 per minute; 10 of the 77 averaged more than 3 per
minute.  I haven't counted the "recognized spam" traffic.

 20050501 : 1404
 20050502 : 1714
 20050503 : 3892
 20050504 : 3562
 20050505 : 7520
 20050506 : 6378
 20050507 : 6142
 20050508 : 4086
 20050509 : 2415
 20050510 : 5938
 20050511 : 3190
 20050512 : 8014
 20050513 : 6464
 20050514 : 4128
 20050515 : 1968
 20050516 : 2108
 20050517 : 8144
 20050518 : 2858
 20050519 : 2952
 20050520 : 3464
 20050521 : 3878
 20050522 : 5805
 20050523 : 1626
 20050524 : 9082
 20050525 : 7436
 20050526 : 5732
 20050527 : 8044
 20050528 : 11120
 20050529 : 6194
 20050530 : 1754
 20050531 : 1634
 20050601 : 3017
 20050602 : 4091
 20050603 : 2510
 20050604 : 1380
 20050605 : 4872
 20050606 : 2909
 20050607 : 2687
 20050608 : 5494
 20050609 : 2132
 20050610 : 1054
 20050611 : 732
 20050612 : 2304
 20050613 : 2062
 20050614 : 6458
 20050615 : 5754
 20050616 : 5308
 20050617 : 7342
 20050618 : 5604
 20050619 : 2488
 20050620 : 2424
 20050621 : 5886
 20050622 : 6056
 20050623 : 3278
 20050624 : 5618
 20050625 : 1530
 20050626 : 1858
 20050627 : 1508
 20050628 : 3675
 20050629 : 3264
 20050630 : 2008
 20050701 : 10386
 20050702 : 3180
 20050703 : 3836
 20050704 : 2318
 20050705 : 2080
 20050706 : 2026
 20050707 : 3458
 20050708 : 2200
 20050709 : 1264
 20050710 : 416
 20050711 : 2144
 20050712 : 6578
 20050713 : 6464
 20050714 : 1222
 20050715 : 1608
 20050716 : 3382
 20050717 : 2414
 20050718 : 2518
 20050719 : 2048
 20050720 : 2208
 20050721 : 2672
 20050722 : 1508
 20050723 : 3910
 20050724 : 1452
 20050725 : 2446
 20050726 : 3512
 20050727 : 3836
 20050728 : 1564
 20050729 : 1181
 20050730 : 836
 20050731 : 808
 20050801 : 1520
 20050802 : 2322
 20050803 : 948
 20050804 : 3042
 20050805 : 2796
 20050806 : 1700
 20050807 : 1478
 20050808 : 3986
 20050809 : 1224
 20050810 : 1240
 20050811 : 3272
 20050812 : 1938
 20050813 : 2226
 20050814 : 1992
 20050815 : 3288
 20050816 : 8224
 20050817 : 1412
 20050818 : 1038
 20050819 : 1132
 20050820 : 1648
 20050821 : 2048
 20050822 : 978
 20050823 : 1536
 20050824 : 1746
 20050825 : 1159
 20050826 : 1588
 20050827 : 1190
 20050828 : 1156
 20050829 : 1686
 20050830 : 2212
 20050831 : 1638
 20050901 : 1684
 20050902 : 2038
 20050903 : 816
 20050904 : 1184
 20050905 : 3850
 20050906 : 1178
 20050907 : 1028
 20050908 : 928
 20050909 : 1112
 20050910 : 458
 20050911 : 764
 20050912 : 4848
 20050913 : 6960
 20050914 : 4628
 20050915 : 4298
 20050916 : 920
 20050917 : 746
 20050918 : 1136
 20050919 : 1478
 20050920 : 4174
 20050921 : 1486
 20050922 : 1832
 20050923 : 2932
 20050924 : 1306
 20050925 : 1932
 20050926 : 4660
 20050927 : 3078
 20050928 : 1298
 20050929 : 3080
 20050930 : 2356
 20051001 : 918
 20051002 : 1706
 20051003 : 4650
 20051004 : 2362
 20051005 : 1924
 20051006 : 1698
 20051007 : 1666
 20051008 : 948
 20051009 : 1340
 20051010 : 2270
 20051011 : 3334
 20051012 : 1812
 20051013 : 3770
 20051014 : 6940
 20051015 : 646
 20051016 : 1880
 20051017 : 6476
 20051018 : 2264
 20051019 : 4162
 20051020 : 2356
 20051021 : 1304
 20051022 : 3050
 20051023 : 962
 20051024 : 3282
 20051025 : 4776
 20051026 : 1126
 20051027 : 1602
 20051028 : 1560
 20051029 : 1582
 20051030 : 2754
 20051031 : 2202
 20051101 : 1824
 20051102 : 1920
 20051103 : 1240
 20051104 : 1650
 20051105 : 1708
 20051106 : 7056
 20051107 : 1656
 20051108 : 5280
 20051109 : 1470
 20051110 : 6052
 20051111 : 1310
 20051112 : 2434
 20051113 : 1298
 20051114 : 3526

Once upon a time, X-SPAM notifications served a useful purpose, because
spammers set up jobs to send thousands of messages with the same sender
address. The world has moved on, spammers techniques have changed, and
the X-SPAM jobs have become less than useless: they have become spam.

The volume of X-SPAM jobs which our LISTSERV server receives from other
LISTSERV servers is significantly higher than the volume of actual spam
which our LISTSERV server receives. This has become a major performance
issue. Despite L-Soft's claims that web requests take precedence over
inbound messages in the listserv/spool directory, we continually
experience web performance problems during periods of high inbound mail
volume, and most of those messages seem to be X-SPAM jobs from other
LISTSERV servers.

Are we the only site experiencing these problems?

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator