Jose Maria Blasco <JMBLASCO@DEARN>
Tue, 3 Jan 89 13:32:20 MEZ
I just came back  from Barcelona and I'm astonished at  all the mess that
has  been created  around  this subject.  Above all,  thanks  to all  the
numerous people who  have expressed their solidarity, either  on a public
list or  privately. I'll  have to give  my own view  of the  subject, and
therefore I'll  have to repeat  a lot of  things which have  already been
said in  other lists. This  will make this mail  quite long, for  which I
apologize in advance.

>By chance I got a copy of Jose Maria's note LISTSEND V1.1
>and I there is a need to make some corrections:

I'm  afraid  this  is  not  exactly  "by chance"  --  or  it  is  a  real
coincidence. My  personal guess  is as follows:  the most  important EARN
volunteers and myself  announced quite a long ago that  we would withdraw
our  support  to EARN  if  the  EARN BoD  continued  to  ignore the  real
technical problems  of the network and  the work done by  the volunteers.
The BoD probably thought that this was only some kind of funny statement,
since  they  didn't  react  until  this  withdrawal  was  started  to  be
implemented.  Then they  had a  meeting,  in which  they discussed  about
volunteer work.  Of course they  found inacceptable that  some volunteers
dared to publicly  oppose to the BoD. The strategy  they are following is
clear: Berthold cannot  complain too much, he's an IBM  guy and IBM would
force him  to work in something  else if he complains  too much; Ulrich's
boss can be lets  say paid so that Ulrich cannot  complain any more; they
thought that they  could coerce myself with this kind  of public attacks,
and then  only Eric  is left.  Eric is much  more difficult  to convince,
especially  because there's  no  way  at all  to  force  him to  continue
supporting  LISTSERV and  they  are intelligent  enough  to realize  that
LISTSERV is  essential to the  network. So  the objective was  to isolate
Eric so that he could not claim any longer to defend the EARN users point
of view.  What I  find most  shocking in  all this  attitude of  the BoD,
regardless of  its infimum moral  category, is  that they still  have not
spent a single  bit of their precious time to  consider the criticisms we
made. I must  conclude, in view of this aggresive  attitude, that they do
not and will not  consider our point of view. In  these conditions, I can
no longer work for EARN, since my view  of what EARN is and the BoD's one
are completely contradictory.

>>Please note that the availability of LISTSEND V1.1 makes obsolete the previous
>>version  of LISTSEND,  which  I will  no longer  support,  fix or  distribute.
>>Following the new policy for volunteer  software, LISTSEND is NOT available to
>>EARN users,  but only  to BITNET  and NetNorth.  I've moved  the EARN  AFDs to
>>LISTSEND  EXEC to  a separate  file, which  I may  restore later  if the  EARN
>>situation betters.

I just want to mention again that this policy was detailedly explained in
EARNTECH  two  months ago.  I  don't  know  whether Klaus  subscribes  to
EARNTECH,  but  Michael  Hebgen  certainly  does,  and  they  communicate
regularly. I did not get any kind of commentary then.

>1. Jose Maria is not an EARN volunteer! It is his Job to
>   contribute to the operation and development of EARN and DFN.
>   He is paid for this by GMD.

GMD pays me  a salary to work 40  hours a week to keep  the DEARN machine
running. There's no part in my contract  which says that I should work 70
hours a week, come all weekends,  develop LISTSEND or LSVTALK, or install
any new list, for  example. I'm doing this kind of  things just because I
find them  nice. My job  is strictly that  of a Country  Coordinator, and
this has never included anything related to software development.

There's something you  can *never* contract someone to do:  to find which
are the user's needs and to be  able to write something which fills these
needs. Of  course you can make  a Committee of Experts  to evaluate which
are these needs, then hire some  programmers to implement these. You will
then have nice OSI prototypes which work only on an IBM 3090 with SNA and
SQL and are buggy and unusable. On  the other side, and provided that the
atmostphere in the network is one  of cooperation and fair play, which is
certainly not the case now, you will always find numerous people who will
like to do some extra work for  the only pleasure of helping the network.
LISTSEND is such an example. I started writing it in my spare time when I
was at EB0UB011, and less than 10% of the code has been written at GMD. I
changed my job,  and nevertheless I continued to maintain  it. If it were
considered the property of EB0 (or  of GMD for that matter), nobody would
have cared to maintain it. Amongst other things because nobody would have
been able to. I find that it  is much more important for the network that
this kind  of utilities are supported  than to try to  enforce ridiculous
company-dependent  policies  which  in  any  case  can  only  make  of  a
cooperative network an inefficient legalistic mess.

I'd also like to point that  most value-added EARN services (as LISTSERV,
MAILER or RELAY) have been developped on a volunteer basis.

>2. Although GMD isn't allways in favour of EARN decissions
>   GMD does not not support any strategy of imposing pressure
>   on the EARN administration by selectively distributing
>   technical solutions everywhere but within EARN. This is not
>   a way to improove EARN, it is destructive.

LISTSEND is not GMD work. It's *my*  work, and I am fully responsible for
it.  This includes  development and  distribution policies.  What I  find
really destructive is the way you  and others are mismanaging EARN. Since
you happen to be in a position to force people who do real work to follow
your orders and  you use your privilege, you've got  two things: I'll not
do anything else which  is beyond the scope of my  contract (i.e. no more
volunteer work), and  I will do all  my best to stop working  for EARN at
all as soon  as legal and personal constraints allow.  This includes that
you'll have to find a new person to work as a German NCC.

>3. Since Jose Maria is employed by GMD and since the developments
>   he announced where on base of GMD-owned ressources he is not
>   authorized to give any statements on the availability. This
>   is especially true for strange and unjustified statements that
>   do not agree to GMD policy.
>
>So the best thing to do for now is to ignore Jose Maria's quoted
>paragraph. I guess better news are to follow when Jose Maria is
>back from hollidays.

This has already  been mentioned, but it's really BAD  STYLE to send this
attack while  I'm in vacations.  If you want  better news you'll  have to
write them yourself.

Before  finishing,  let  me  make  some  phylosophical  statements  about
volunteer work and legal  ownership. When I came to GMD, I  did so with a
lot of  utilities and  experience. These utilities  (which have  not been
touched and therefore  are not the property of GMD)  are actively used by
everybody who uses VM at GMD. Most  of them were developed by me at other
places. I never tried to sell them to  GMD; in fact I never cared to make
some marketing to explain  how much software you got for  free, and now I
realize this was an error. The  same applies to experience: I installed a
complicated but very useful software  sharing mechanism between DEARN and
DBNGMD12, using LISTSERV and my  experience with it. A normal programmer,
with only  some VM experience,  would not have  been able to  manage this
complexity, and therefore would have  had to maintain everything by hand,
with the  usual consequences  of lack of  synchronization, documentation,
etc. This is a GIFT I made to  GMD, and it's the first time I mention it.
You cannot find any legal trick to  claim that this software is yours. In
the same way that you cannot pretend to be the owner of my initiative, my
creativity, my experience, or even my  legs, for that matter. You've been
paying for  a VM  expert, not for  all the extra  work. Since  I've never
expressed  any kind  of  monetary interest  for this  extra  work, I  had
thought the  game was one  of cooperation, which  I think is  always much
more useful and productive than legalism. Now I see this is not the case.

This can seem too much detail about the internal GMD structure; if I have
explained it here, this  is because I think this is  a general problem of
most companies,  and, worse, it's becoming  one of the worse  problems of
EARN. Look at BITNET: the management  of BITNET subscribes to most lists,
including non-official ones as 1745-L. They pay attention to what's going
on,  reply  if  necessary,  and  keep a  cooperative  attitude  with  the
volunteers,  so that  everything goes  fine.  EARN seems  to have  firmly
decided  to evolve  into a  bureauchratic monster,  killing all  personal
initiative  under legalisms  and nasty  pressures. Well  you'll get  what
you're looking for.

>Klaus Birkenbihl

Jose Maria