Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:39:48 -0400
On Aug 22, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Bill Verity wrote:

> Periodically I send mail to large lists and delay it with the Prime=
> header.  The mail shows the date and time that I sent it to the
> server rather than the date and time that it was sent by listserv.
> Since I sometimes delay the mail several days, this sometimes
> confuses people. Just curious if there is a way to get the server to
> slip in the "correct" date when it sends it.
>
> --
> Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies.
>
> Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
> 215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn
> State University
> At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)

Bill,

I am glad to see a Mac user at PSU!

Be that as it may. I have encountered that same issue. Listserv does
not muck with the date/time information and there are good  reasons
for that. One way to avoid that behavior is to set up a scheduler on
Windows, or cron on Unix to mail out the message in question when it
actually needs to be distributed, rather than allowing it to rest in
Listserv's queue until the delivery time is reached. We have one
department here who set up a directory on a windows server and they
have a scheduled job that checks that directory every so often and
simply mails out what's in it to their list of 60,000+ subscribers.