John Clutcher <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Feb 1992 16:00:09 EST
 I've asked this concurrent update question in the past.
 Many thanks to those who have responded.

 I'm going to be creating a document on LISTSERV called
 PMCP SIGNUP.  PMCP SIGNUP is located in DEVELPMT FILELIST.
 DEVELPMT FILELIST is located in root directory LISTSERV
 FILELIST.

 What prevents this concurrent update problem:
 1) person "A" gets the document.
 2) person "A" puts the document back on LISTSERV.
 3) person "B" gets the document before "A" puts the
       document back on LISTSERV.
 4) person "B" puts the document back on LISTSERV
       and overrides "A"'s updates.

 From EVERYTHING I read about Listserv and EVERYONE I talked to
 about Listserv, I can't prevent the above situation.
 (Yes, there is one solution.... get the file, delete the file,
  then put out a new file..... but I don't like that option).

 Sorry to bring up this topic again, but am I correct to assume
 that Listserv CAN NOT prevent this concurrent update?

 We want to use Listserv as a tool for documentation, but
 with no guarantee of data loss, it can't be used.

 One last time.... What commands can a Listserv User use to
 get and put a document to prevent concurrent updating of
 a document?  If it can be done, what are the exact commands
 the user should use (not the postmaster)?  Where did you
 find these commands?

 Ben Chi or Eric Thomas, do you have any suggestions for me
 as to how to resolve this problem?

 Many, many thanks in advance for your patience and input.
John Clutcher, Project Leader/E-mail Postmaster  Information Systems
Internet: [log in to unmask]            Hershey Medical Center
Bitnet:   [log in to unmask]                 500 University Drive
Voice:    (717) 531-8682                         Hershey, PA 17033  USA