Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Aug 1993 15:46:48 MST
On Tue, 3 Aug 1993 16:48:00 CDT Glen Overby said:

>Of course, the real solution is to quit gatewaying news to mailing
>lists entirely.  But that would require too many people to _change_.

   Maybe, but the world is going the other way, towards the 'seamless web'.
I still don't understand why the compiler/editor of the FAQ can't
simply change something minimal, as  Ver. x.y  to Ver. x.z, or whatever
works.  And add the wording 'unchanged since Ver. x.q' if appopriate.
Hardly seems like a major problem.  Also, it seems patently ridiculous
to repost the whole FAQ to the LIST.  Reposting to the newsgroup makes
sense, so why not just send it directly to the newsgroup gateway address
and not to the other list subscribers.  If they want a copy let them
request the file from LISTSERV.
   I'm aware that I might be missing something here, but it seems just
too simple to be bothering Eric with silly hacks of LISTSERV.

dan

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     Bitnet:   ALILESTE@IDBSU
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 In the kingdom of the blind, the
  208-385-1235                        one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus. 1523