Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 May 2006 21:17:57 -0400
On Sat, 20 May 2006 00:26:09 EDT, Dan Wheeler said:

> fairly close-knit communities of participants. We have *never* had an
> incident of someone forging an editor address to post to one of the
> lists.

You're very lucky.  At least several times a day, somebody who's at some time
been on one of our lists has gotten infected with some virus/worm that
spreads by grovelling e-mail addresses off the victim's hard drive.

And at least once a month, the worm gets lucky, and finds a listname to stick
in the To:, and gets *really* lucky and also finds the right editor's address
to stick in the From:... and then out it goes.

It was particularly not-fun when some alumnus's machine got a worm, and it
lucked into the address for our alumni newsletter, and the owner's name.
Even though our e-mail system is over-engineered, it still went 'urp' when
a dozen postings to 70K people happened in the span of several minutes,
on top of all the *other* worm-bombing that was happening because the A/V
companies hadn't released a pattern yet.....