Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Aug 1993 17:25:42 CDT
On Fri, 27 Aug 1993 11:49:38 -0700 Steven Hodas said:
>A friend of mine wants to subscribe to some mailing lists from her America
>OnLine account. The problem is that their mail software requires that
>something go in the subject line or it won't send the mail. She's tried
>putting spaces in but it doesn't work.
>
>Does anyone know of a workaround? If so, please mail it to me.

   You can put anything you want in the Subject line - at least for
the normal Revised LISTSERV by Eric Thomas.  I don't know about others.
I've always had the feeling that the unnecessary "leave the subject blank"
was just a way to tell folks that Revised LISTSERV reads commands from the
text and NOT the subject.  But then again...  If some other software reads
BOTH then I suppose you can put HELP or something trivial in the subject.

       Marty