Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 May 1991 19:05:40 +0200
I hear  this kind  of statements  ("software X  must be  changed because,
let's face it, software  Y is not going to change in the  next 5 years at
best so the  only way is to  change X") quite often. This  makes sense if
software Y is something that impacts everyone in an unavoidable way - for
instance, if  the operating system  LISTSERV is  running on has  some bug
which IBM  refuses to fix, LISTSERV  should be fixed to  work around that
bug or  everyone will suffer.  Now, there are  a number of  sites running
mail software in which the REPLY function forwards a complete copy of the
original  posting  back  to  the  person you  reply  to,  RFC822  headers
included. These  users suffer considerable inconvenience  from LISTSERV's
refusal to process such mail, and let's face it this mail software is not
going to change (especially  as it's doing REPLY the way  God meant it to
be, if you  see what I mean),  so let's remove this  check from LISTSERV.
There is an operating system where the standard vendor-supplied tools for
editing and then sending a command file to LISTSERV causes serial numbers
to  be placed  in columns  73-80  and they're  not going  to change  this
(default) option any  time soon because it would break  zillions of other
applications,  so  let's have  LISTSERV  blank  out columns  73-80  (like
NETSERV does). Let's change SMTP to stop using 'MAIL FROM:<>' on delivery
error notices, it  breaks the standard bsd Unix (tm)  mail system! A node
administrator complained to me about this,  agreed that it was allowed by
the specs, but  told me that since it creates  problems with the standard
bsd config  and let's face it,  there are thousands of  sites running bsd
and not knowing about it, I ought to change SMTP to put something there -
anything, as long as it's not empty. I realize I have not mentioned PROFS
yet, well of course since PROFS is not moving to RFC822 any time soon and
there is  a considerable amount of  PROFS users in the  network we should
have  LISTSERV generate  PROFS notes  instead of  RFC822, otherwise  they
can't  reply  easily,  and  since  PROFS users  know  very  little  about
computers, it's  easier for  RFC822 techies  to adapt  to PROFS  than the
other way around :-)

Well  I could  go on  forever. As  I see  it, these  are all  examples of
situations where the  problem only impacts this subset  of LISTSERV users
running the  software causing the  problem, while  the rest of  the world
doesn't even  know the problem exists.  If they are happy  suffering from
the design of their software, fine with  me. If they want to fix it, even
better. But I'm not going to let anyone convince me that it's MY problem.

  Eric