Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:30:54 -0500
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Rob wrote:

> Is there a way to automatically send out an email to owners of a newly
> created list?

What I did was set up a CGI script that's connected to an HTML form. This
is on the same system as our Listserv. The form is accessibly only to
system managers and help desk personnel here. To create a list, all one of
us has to do is fill out the fields on the form, click submit, and away it
goes. The list is created. A customized email message is sent to the list
owners. This message indicates the name of the list, the list's URL, and
the URL that can be used to automatically subscribe students to the list
if its for instructional purposes.

This form feeds the data to a CGI PERL script that I wrote which does all
the work. It feeds the Listserv request into Listserv's input stream,
creates the directories for the list's index and log files, and then sends
out the confirmation msg.

Eventually, we're going to tie it into our new University-wide LDAP
database, but I haven't had time to implement that yet.