Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:05:46 -0500
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:30:21 EST, Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> Didn't help. Its still failing several times a day. Not leaving anything
> behind but some orphan processes.

Oh? What orphan processes exactly?  And are you sure they're orphans of the
lsv process?

> Not sure why, but the limits now show as:
>
> Soft FILE size    2097151
Max file size the process can write.

> Soft CPU time     -1
Max CPU time for the process (-1 is unlimited)

> Soft DATA segment -1
Max virtual storage available for malloc() heap allocation (the Unix
equivalent of GETMAIN/FREEMAIN storage pools)

> Soft STACK size   -1
Max virtual storage for process subroutine call stack ("save areas" for
those of you who remember OS linkage).

> Sort CORE size    2048
Max core file size to dump.

> What do these values control?

> Are there any debugging switches I can set to try to get a handle on this?

If it's leaving a 'core' file, you could try 'dbx ./lsv ./core', and
type 'where' at the dbx prompt, that should hopefully dump the subroutine
call stack.

Just as an aside, note that AIX 4.2.1 on SP systems goes off IBM support
as of June 30, and on non-SP as of March 31.  I hope you're at least looking
at AIX 4.3.2 or 4.3.3 ;)

/Valdis