Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:42:00 -0500
I'm trying 1.8e again today and we're going to try to see why it is building a backlog of .mail files.

I have been using several delivery pools to control the flow of mail from listserv.  I have 19 smtp workers and only one of them handles the "L" pool.   I direct huge lists to this pool and then the mail goes out slower than the other pools and doesn't swamp our mail system.

I'm assuming all the workers work on their files LIFO.   However I've currently got 129 files in the L pool from a list with 16,000 subscribers.  This queue hasn't moved in over 30 minutes.  My guess is they never will get delivered.  I'll try moving them to the default pool by renaming them.

Are pools still supported?  I can't find any discussion of them in the 1.8e site manager manual.  Here are my GO entries related to this:

SMTP_FORWARD_1="18*lists.psu.edu;POOL=M-"
SMTP_FORWARD_2="lists.psu.edu;POOL=L"
DEFAULT_LIST_POOL="M"
--
What do fish say when they hit a concrete wall? . . . Dam!

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)