"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <REICHETZ@AWIIMC11>
Fri, 7 Jul 89 11:25:07 SET
Sorry to  the non-EARN Listserv list  subscribers ... but a  special list does
not yet exist.

On Thu, 6 Jul 89 15:19:38 +0200 Peter Lothberg said:

>Hi folks out there...
>
>I think, that it is now time to start think about the future, instead of
>fighting wars.
>What we need is i wide range of services to the end user, at a very high
>performance, to a cost that we can afford.
>Today, lots of technical 'soulutions' are political, giving low performance
>and high cost and even worse, they are to complex for the poor end user.
>Why must the enduser suffer from political wars? Let us now use our time,
>money and knowledge to do a state of the art network.

The big  war has been  fought .. what you're  watching now is  the (desperate)
effort to glue to broken pieces together. This doesn't take place without some
additional emotional outbursts.
In my  opinion the end could've  been different. But most  ppl. simply watched
the ongoing  war. Maybe under  the (false)  assumption that somehow  all would
calm down and in the end nothing would have changed. I got the impression that
some thought Eric would  draw back, others that the EARN  Exec would meet some
of the  "volunteer's" wishes. I got  several personal remarks on  that matter,
some stating  that Eric  should listen to  reasons others asked,  "who elected
*this* Exec/BoD?".
Now that we have the outcome almost no one believed in kinda panic spreads. It
will still take  some time until Bitnet/NetNorth perceives the  effects of the
de-facto split. And -  I wouldn't mind if I'd be wrong in  that - I guess that
the  contract  (still  to  be)  proposed  by EARN  will  once  more  stir  the
discussion.

It's not impossible that some EARN sites  will NOT sign the contract with EARN
- i.e. rather stay at their 1.5o level without support. That could have the
effect  that the  EARN backbone  will lose  effectiveness in  addition to  the
upcoming problems  with the break of  the BITNET-EARN backbone. Right  now the
effect is  almost not noticeable  - the BITNET and  the EARN PEERS  NAMES have
only slight differences.
Comments? - are welcome ...
Christian