Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 29 May 1987 21:13 SET
  There's something I don't  understand. I had done a PUT  PEERS NAMES (on the
backbone servers  as usual) to remove  EB0UB011 from the backbone  as per Jose
Maria's request, and it first went very  well. Then I started to get acks from
servers which are  NOT on the backbone,  and then acks from  servers which had
ALREADY acked the PUT. That just DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Just got an ACK from my
*own darned* server by the way.

  This  means that  one  of the  servers  has violated  the  PUT protocol  and
redistributed the stuff to all the servers that IT knew (ie all the servers in
its  PEERS NAMES),  instead of  recognizing that  it was  a forwarded  PUT and
keeping its mouth shut. The only server that I added to the backbone since the
last PUT was the RICE one. Richard, can you check your server's console log to
see if it's  the culprit or not? If  it is, please shut it down  asap. I don't
mean to  imply that it's  necessarily RICE, but  it's a possibility.  It could
also be POLYGRAF although I think it was  in the last PEERS NAMES (but I'm not
certain).

  Eric