Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 13 Sep 1986 22:36 SET
  You probably remember the program I had  mentioned earlier which I had said I
would use to determine the nearest peer  to the invoker of a SUBscribe command,
wherever he may  be on the net. For  those of you who remember it,  this is the
*very* program that Mike did not want me  to waste time on :-) Well, I had said
that it would have to be able to  generate the list of all nodes and their dis-
tances to any given source node in less then 0.30 secs TCPU on my 4341-2, or it
would not be used at all. Help yourself :-)
 kl frecp11 bearn blekul11 tamvm1 uiucvmd clvm uga
 BEARN     3
 BLEKUL11  4
 TAMVM1   13
 UIUCVMD   9
 CLVM      9
 UGA      11
 R; T=0.23/0.25 22:33:04
 kl bitn*c frecp11 tamvm1
 FINDNODE error
 R(00101); T=0.03/0.04 22:33:47
 kl bitnic frecp11 tamvm1
 FRECP11   5
 TAMVM1    9
 R; T=0.23/0.25 22:33:51
 kl tamvm1 bitnic
 BITNIC    9
 R; T=0.23/0.24 22:34:00
Close call, but I did win :-) The same module in REXX takes 2 minutes to produ-
ce the list of 1 to 8 links distant nodes, and then you really can't help doing
HX....
(this is a temp version -- the syntax is "KL sourcenode list-of-nodes-you-want-
stacked) The whole list is built in storage whatever the arguments, so it takes
very little additional time to generate the whole list (kl frecp11 *). I'm glad
to announce that this program will now  be used to generate the NODES FILE from
LSVBITGN, and LSVGNODE will become obsolete. It particular you will not have to
stop the  server to run  GENROUTS. There will be  a new command,  "NODEGEN" (or
something similar)  to perform all  the BITEARN NODES based  generation process
automatically from within the  LISTSERV machine -- that will save  you a lot of
time and will save ME a lot of mail :-) A nasty side-effect: LSVBITGN now takes
200 secs TCPU  on my machine instead  of 160, but then  you run it only  once a
month. You need an additional 15k of datafile, but I think this is no big deal.

I'll test that darned little module until  it breaks or 1 hour has elapsed, and
then I'll modify SUBSCRIBE  to look at the "Peers=" keyword  in the list header
and forward  the command  if needed. I  also plan to  implement a  MOVE command
soon, we  really need it:  MOVE listname u@n  <TO> newnode. This  would forward
the complete  set of distribution options,  not just the name  and [log in to unmask]
I also had to  fix a problem with CARD which does not  accept a filemode of "*"
(*groan*) thus  causing an internal error....  So I guess I'll  call this 1.4b.

Here are the long awaited (??) results of the "dear sir" vote... :-)

1   (1) 'Dear sir'

1   (2) 'Dear sir or dear madam'
    (2bis) 'Dear Sir Or Dear Madam'

1   (3) 'Dear User'
+2  (3bis) 'Dear LISTSERV user'

2   (4) 'Dear Networker'
    (4bis) 'Dear Network fan'

    (5) 'Dear person'

    (6) 'Hello'

4   (7) 'IAT8187 JOB 4531,NEWUSER PR=15 CL=S AWAITING GREETING(P)'

1   (8) 'Dear new list member' (ADD)
        'Dear old list member' (DROP)
        ''                     (Notes sent to list owners)

1   (9) 'Dear interested user'

2  (10) ''

1  (11) 'Dear subscriber'
        'Dear list owner'

1  (12) 'Greetings friend and neighbour'

1  (13) 'To whom it may concern'

1  (14) If LSVBITNIC_staff(userid) Then greeting = 'FYC'
                                   Else  greeting =  'Dear sir  or dear  madam'

(This does not include my own vote)

  The winner is therefore item number  7, IAT8187 JOB 4531,NEWUSER PR=15..... I
therefore decided that  my vote would count as  25 points ( ;-) ),  and I voted
for item (15),  which is what you  see in the V1.4  $DEFAULT MAILFORM (although
items 14 and  4 were tempting). Morals:  never put something on  a vote, people
will always  react like the  Schtroumpfs in that  cartoon where they  all said:
"Moi,  je vote  pour  moi!!!"  (translation: "*I*  vote  for *myself*!!!")  :-)

  Eric