"Bill Verity (814) 865-4758" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Nov 1992 13:12:00 EST
From time to time we get subscription or information requests that appear to
be from a bitnet node but aren't.  I imagine that they always come in via
mail.  We have a local node that sometimes causes this problem.  It is
iris.psu.edu.  Sometimes mail comes out of this node with the from line
indicating only IRIS.  I see it later when it bounces from the bitnet node
of the same name.  At any rate ...  I have two questions.

1.  Once I'm aware of messages coming from such a node, can I alert LISTSERV
to reject them and send them to me.  I'd like to try to figure out where it
is coming from and send them a note suggesting that they correct their mail
configuration.

2.  Wouldn't if be possible to LISTSERV to detect this immediately.  It
thinks it is sending to a BITNET node but it isn't in any tables.  Can I set
a switch to request that listserv not send anything to a bitnet node that
doesn't exist.  I suppose this might cause some premature rejections around
the time when routing tables change.