Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 15:08:41 EST
On Tue, 7 Feb 1995 10:08:53 -0500 Adam Floro said:
>I checked the D-disk (LISTSERV 192, 3 cyls) and it appears to be
>99% full and contains a file called DATABASE OUTPUT.
>
>Should I a) erase this file and re-boot the LISTSERV machine,

You could do that - not even any need to reboot...

>b) increase the size of the 192 disk (but by how much?)

You could do that too, but...

>c) some other course of action?

The 192 disk is used by LISTSERV for temporary work files.  For example,
if someone does a search on a digest, a LISTSERV CMSUT1 and the DATABASE
OUTPUT file that is sent to the searcher is written onto that disk.

The thing is, 3 cyls is a decent size for a this kind of stuff.  We used to
have a 5 cyl 192 and it finally filled up a couple of times when we got
someone searching year's worth of large notebooks, so perhaps you can increase
your disk a couple of cylinders, but you can probably just do a CMS ERASE
DATABASE OUTPUT D command for now and survive (until whomever submitted that
large search job submits it again).

We have a 10 cyl 192 disk now and have no problems, but we have some very
large notebooks as well as about 2000 files in our filelists.

Bill
City University of New York Computer Center