Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:54:34 -0600
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:12:02 -0400, Rob Wideman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The Barracuda Spam and Virus boxes are running the latest version of software available.  I worked with Barracuda support and they indicated they could force the device to not use ESMTP and work with HELO only, but it would be across the entire device and would impact performance on my Exchange servers.

It shouldn't be necessary to force the device to non ESTMP for all
transactions.  The sending mail server is supposed to automatically 'fall back
to using HELO' like this:

     220 LISTSERV.DELTA.EDU ready.
EHLO mail.besteffort.com	500 Unknown command.
HELO mail.besteffort.com	250 Go ahead.
MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>	250 Go ahead.
RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>	250 Go ahead.
DATA 354 Enter message:
     250 Mail delivered.
QUIT 221 Closing connection.

but this 'fall back' method lasts for this transaction only.  I am under the
(probably mistaken) impression that Barracuda uses a modified version of
sendmail (or perhaps Postfix) as the mailer in their appliance.  If so, it
should support this action by default.  If not, the mailer is not compliant
with current RFC 5321 and you are perfectly right to ask the vendor why they
are trying to sell you (or may have already sold you) a
non-standards-compliant device.

Unfortunately your LISTSERV server doesn't respond to the standard SHOW
VERSION or SHOW LICENSE commands (it accepts the mail but something prevents
the return of the outgoing email).  Otherwise I might have another solution to
suggest.