Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 21:14:00 +0100
On Mon, 10 Jan 1994 09:20:21 CDT "Ronald W. RItchey"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>You cand get  a list of all  the BITNET discussion lists  by sending the
>message 'LIST GLOBAL'  to a backbone server.  How can you get  a list of
>all the Internet discussion groups, or are they the same as BITNET?

LIST GLOBAL shows you a list of  all LISTSERV lists, which are also known
as  "BITNET lists"  for  historical reasons.  If  a list  is  not run  by
LISTSERV it won't know in LIST GLOBAL, whether it's run on an Internet or
BITNET site.

>We have a discussion list at UNL  called CRUISE-L that shows up when you
>do a 'TELL LISTSERV AT UIUCVM42 LIST GLOBAL' but it doesn't show up when
>you do a 'TELL LISTSERV AT BITNIC LIST GLOBAL', why is that?

I think that's  because you had just  created the list when  you sent the
command. The list now shows on LIST GLOBAL at BITNIC and everywhere else.
Updates are sent overnight so it can take  a day for a new list to become
known globally.

  Eric