"Forrest, Jessica" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:06:42 +0100
The OzonAction Programme at the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
is currently searching for a host for two environmentally-focused e-mail
discussion groups.  Each list will enable stakeholders to share knowledge
and news on replacements for ozone-depleting substances, which must be
replaced by international deadlines defined by the Montreal Protocol.  Both
lists are being created in response an expressed need for improved
communication by government officials, researchers, and industry
representatives.

The first e-mail discussion group will be for stakeholders (including
government officials, representatives of agricultural organizations and
ministries, NGO's, and researchers) to discuss alternatives for methyl
bromide, an ozone depleting pesticide.  It will also enable people to share
ideas about policies that encourage alternatives, new resources, and
conferences.  This exchange of knowledge will enable countries to meet their
respective deadlines for methyl bromide phase out under the Copenhagen
Amendment to the Montreal Protocol.  In addition to moderated discussion,
UNEP will distribute the "Regular Update on Methyl Bromide Alternatives"
(RUMBA) via the list every 4-6 weeks to relay information about activities
world-wide for reducing the use of methyl bromide.  In addition to e-mail
exchange, we would like to configure the list if possible to archive
messages automatically on our web-site for public access.

The second e-mail discussion group will focus on the cross-cutting issues
between ozone depletion and climate change.  Currently, some businesses that
must discontinue their use of ozone-depleting substances are adopting
alternatives that contribute to global warming.  This is causing a conflict
between two major international environmental treaties, the Montreal
Protocol and the Kyoto Protocol.  The proposed "Climate and Ozone" e-mail
discussion group would allow stakeholders (including researchers, government
officials, and industry representatives) to share knowledge about climate
and ozone-friendly technologies and to announce upcoming conferences and new
resources.  In addition to moderated discussion, UNEP will distribute the
"Climate and Ozone Update" via the list every 4-6 weeks which summarizes new
developments world-wide for issues related to climate and ozone.  Like the
Methyl Bromide Alternatives list, we would like to configure the list if
possible to archive messages automatically on our web-site for public
access.

If you are interested in hosting one or both of these lists, please respond
to me directly as I do not normally follow this discussion group.

Thank you very much!

Jessica Forrest

OzonAction Programme
Division of Technology, Industry, and Economics
United Nations Environment Programme
Paris, France