Jonathan Kochmer <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Sep 1991 00:29:08 -0700
I have a question which concerns the ethics of access to Listserv
subscription lists (and for that matter, any other subscription lists).

It would be technically trivial to query subscription lists of listservers
around the world, pull results into a central file of names, userids, and
addresses, and maintain the list as part of a white pages supplement to
existing white pages (such as nic.ddn.mil, sh.cs.net, etc.) which could be
searched from remote sites via the "whois" command or something
equivalent.

Has this been done, or is anyone planning this?

From the white pages perspective, such a service could be "A Good Thing",
since existing white pages services are currently dominated by
administrative, military, and government users, as opposed to the average
Jane and John Doe's of the network world.  Of course, this would be rendered
obsolete once more sites get local official directories up and running and
attached to whatever Internet wide white pages services become prevalent.

An equivalent database and query service has already been set up for
*posted* Usenet articles received at MIT.  But listserv subscription lists
contain the names of many people who never post, and may never intend to.

The acknowledgement received upon subscription to a Listserv group does
indicate that it is possible to hide one's name from prying eyes; but most
folks don't anticipate having their subscription information dragged into
a world-accessible white pages service.  Although I suspect most people
wouldn't mind, it's those individuals who *would* mind that I am concerned
about.

yet another case of potential conflict between free access to information
and individual rights...

Jonathan Kochmer                    University Computing Services
[log in to unmask]    University of Washington