Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:41:24 -0500
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:32:29 EST, Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>  said:

> I was scratching my head wondering what this "running an exe" meant.  It
> sounds like the complainer thinks wa.exe is running on the clients machine,
> not the server.  I mean, isn't the WWW server procedure, Apache or whatever,
> itself an exe?

It means some user with more paranoia than clue saw that the four letters '.',
'e', 'x', 'e' showed up in a URL in that order, adjacent to each other, and
promptly had a cow.  The security industry calls this an IWF or BWF incident
(idiot/bozo with firewall), and rank it right up there with complaints like
'ns1.your.site is portscanning me from port 53' or 'ntp-1.your.site is
portscanning me from port 123'.

To fix this you have two main choices:

1) Find a baseball bat and do the emotionally satisfying thing. :)

2) Do this:

a) cd ~apache/cgi-bin   (or wherever you keep it)
b) mv wa.exe wa.cgi
c) ln -s wa.cgi wa.exe    (for those who have .exe addresses bookmarked)
d) in ~listserv/go.user, find the line:
WWW_ARCHIVE_CGI="/cgi-bin/wa.exe"

and change the .exe to .cgi.

Works fine - in fact, it's been called wa.cgi for *ages* at my site.