Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 26 Sep 89 12:44:10 GMT
Next monday (october the 2nd), I will remove from the backbone any EARN server
running with a version of PEERS NAMES older than 09/22. I have been getting an
increasing  amount of  errors messages  from EARN  servers about  servers that
could not  be found in PEERS  NAMES. This is of  course a pain for  me and the
other coordinators to  discard, but above all  it means that files  for the US
which ought  to have been  sent the "normal" way,  via DISTRIBUTE, had  to get
exploded somewhere in Europe because the  server could not figure out what the
"next server" is. Removing these servers from the backbone should decrease the
load on the network.

EARN postmasters are reminded that they  can keep PEERS NAMES and LINKSWT FILE
up to date in 2 ways, either by  allowing Turgut to update them, or by AFD'ing
to them from a US server and  then storing them manually on their server (with
the NODIST option).

  Eric